Athletics & Wellness Centre
In 2002, Branksome undertook a new master planning process which resulted in a plan that called for the revitalization of its facilities over a period of years to better meet the needs of its students. The centrepiece of the revitalization plan called for the development of an Athletics and Wellness Centre (AWC) - a new 75,000 sq.ft. facility featuring:
- An indoor 25 metre pool and a separate indoor leisure pool
- A gymnasium with viewing space for spectators
- A high-performance fitness room with weights and aerobic equipment
- ERG room for rowing training
- A yoga/dance studio
- A state of the art kitchen and new cafeteria to accommodate 600 students
- Change rooms and support facilities
The project is designed to LEED Silver standard. Sustainable features are incorporated into many aspects of the design with emphasis on views to the Rosedale valley and maximizing natural daylight into all interior spaces.
Challenges include obtaining municipal approvals on a complex project involving many stakeholders, constructing on a very tight urban site and ensuring no disruption to the school’s ongoing programs. Gillam Group is working with Branksome to identify “teachable moments” that will enhance student’s education.
Construction commenced July 1, 2012 with completion expected in the fall of 2014.
Delivery: Construction Management
Design Team: MJMA, Smith & Andersen, Blackwell Bowick,